nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Old patch, updated to new CVS.

From: David Lawrence Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Old patch, updated to new CVS.
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 19:46:11 -0700 (PDT)

David Benbennick:
>I have updated the patch at http://www.math.cornell.edu/~dbenbenn/nano/
>for CVS.  Because it's so old, here's a new summary of what it does:
>
>* Makes the binary about 2K smaller.
>
>* Fixes various color and highlight bugs in winio.c:edit_add().
>
>* Adds color.c:set_colorpairs().  Color pairs are now calculated only
>once, after loading the RC file, instead of at every buffer switch or file
>name change.
>
>* Plugs some memory leaks in files.c.
>
>* Uses malloc instead of calloc in utils.c:charalloc(), since it is
>faster.
>
>By the way, DLR, in March you were having problems with autogen.sh.  (In
>http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/nano-devel/2002-March/000174.html.)  I had
>the same problem, until I put /usr/local/bin before /usr/bin in my PATH.
>
>Then everything worked.

I'll have to try that if/when my autoconf version is lower
than the minimum required version for nano again; thanks.

I've made a few minor fixes to quote30.diff to deal with a
few minor problems I encountered (iirc, I might have
mentioned these sometime before).  First, the assert()
calling check_linenumbers() is #defined out if NDEBUG isn't
defined; I know the assert() gets commented out when
NDEBUG is defined, but apparently the reference to
check_linenumbers() isn't, leading to the following linker
error when NDEBUG is defined:

winio.c: In function `update_line':
winio.c:912: warning: implicit declaration of function `check_linenumbers'
gcc  -g3 -Wall -pedantic   -o nano  color.o cut.o files.o global.o move.o
nano.o rcfile.o search.o utils.o winio.o  -lncurses
winio.o: In function `update_line':
/archive/nano/nano-1.1.10-cvs-quote30/winio.c:914: undefined reference to
`check_linenumbers'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [nano] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/archive/nano/nano-1.1.10-cvs-quote30'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/archive/nano/nano-1.1.10-cvs-quote30'
make: *** [all] Error 2

Third, the added goto labels are spaced differently for
consistency with other labels.  Fourth, the message printed
when charalloc() fails due to lack of memory now properly
refers to "malloc" instead of "calloc".

The patch against your tree with quote30.diff applied is
attached.  One question, though: what are the config.h
changes for?  They don't apply to my ./configure-generated
config.h, but don't seem to make any difference on my
system either.

Promote your group and strengthen ties to your members with address@hidden by
Everyone.net  http://www.everyone.net/?btn=tag