nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] .11 release and new syntaxes

From: D Canfield
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] .11 release and new syntaxes
Date: 30 Sep 2002 13:13:26 -0500

I tried creating a color set for .php, but the biggest thing I wanted
was to highlight functions.  With a handful of highlighted characters
for quotes, comments, and the like nano (.10) performed OK, but even
defining just the 20 or so names that were required for the PHP LDAP
functions brought scrolling to a crawl.

I'm assuming that the more regexes involved, the more resource intensive
nano gets.  Is there anything I can do to reduce the resources required
just to do basic keyword matching, or are there ways that nano's
highlighting can be optimized in the future?  It looks like vi isn't
slowed down much at all even with the entire php function set loaded,
but I'm not programmer enough to know what the difference is. :-)

Also, I've been holding off on reporting this until an official release
came out, but under redhat 8.0 running in a gnome_terminal 2.0 window,
nano has a habit of displaying a single extra letter at the beginning of
random lines when scrolling up and down.  ctrl-l refreshes and
everything is OK.  I'm assuming it's some kind of termcap difference or
something?  I think I remember gnome-multi-terminal showing this
behavior as well.

If I can be of (non-programming) help on either issue, please let me
know.

Thanks

DC

-------
        Yes, .11 should be ready for release as of DLR's recent commit.  That
being said, I'd like to get some more syntaxes in the sample.nanorc
before the release.  I'm not very good at regexes, but I've been
muddling through a perl syntax (using vim as an example of how it should
look), and I have the following so far:

  Anyway, I'd at least like to have syntaxes for perl, html and maybe
shell before the release (Monday night at this point), if anyone would
like to volunteer to do some for the sample.nanorc that would be cool.
I'll take whatever we have by Monday night and release.
Ttfn.

Chris A
--
Chris Allegretta        http://www.asty.org

"Share and Enjoy" - Douglas Adams, 1952 - 2001