nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] search history

From: Ken Tyler
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] search history
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 09:07:50 +1000

On Thu, 24 Oct 2002, Chris Allegretta wrote:

> Okay, well I was hoping to have more time to do something with your
> patch, but I really like what I see.  I was able to make it cycle back
> through when reaching the end or beginnig of the history list, which
> could well be all the functionality we need.

Hello,

cycle back ?

Not ever seen this happen in any incarnation of the patch and not
intended. Up arrow gets you to the oldest and no further, down arrow gets
you to the blank line and no more. Can you look again ?

> I like how unobtrusive it is.

No up/down arrow action and you wouldn't know it was there.

> The question becomes whether to implement what I proposed in my
> earlier mail (and well in the past).

I'm a bit unsure about your suggested uniform pico/nano Search
status line.

What a user ends up seeing is :

^W          Search [redwood] :                (last search)
up one      Search [tree] :                   (next older search)
12          Search [] : tree_bad_thing        (edit it)
up one      Search [saw] :                    (one older again)

There's a bit of jumping about going on which I'm not keen on. I still
favour no search history in pico and as is in nano (as is being what I
describe, not what you are seeing).  Have a think about it and I'll do
whatever.

> I guess the question comes down to
> whether people who use the current non-pico search behavior want to hit
> <down arrow> two times to start with a blank line.  Hmm.

Something's wrong somewhere, maybe I gave you an inconsistent patch.

^W gives you the last search, one arrow down gives you a blank, you
get a blank  at the "Replace with:"  part of ^\ or ^W ^R.

Ken.