nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] search history

From: Chris Allegretta
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] search history
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2002 20:02:03 -0700

On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 12:46:40PM +1000, Ken Tyler wrote:
> > No, what I'm saying is I added a bit to the code so that it cycles back:
>
> [deleted]
>
> I don't like the sound of this.
>
> I'd much rather have a definite oldest that you get 'stuck' at instead of
> wrapping round. If you want to get to the most recent, a ^C ^W starts you
> off again.

Bah, why?  bash doesn't do this :)  If you get to the end of the list
and didn't find what you want, you're going to want to get to a blank
line immediately so you can enter a new string without aborting the
function.

> > This is what I was trying to describe, one uniform mode for search:
>
> [deleted]
>
> I'm not quite getting what you want the combined pico/nano mode todo (if
> it's this hard to communicate either I'm thick or maybe it's illogical Mr
> Spock).
>
> ^W            Search [Redwood] :
> enter                                 now searching
>
> ^W            Search [Redwood] :
> abc           Search [] : abc         a new search string being entered
> enter                                 now searching
>
> ^W            Search [Redwood] :
> up            Search [] : Redwood     string now ediatble
> up            search [] : tree        this string editable too
> 1             search [] : tree1       edit it
> (keys)                search [] : tre1on      further editing
> up            search [] : saw         change of mind, get older string
> (keys)                search [] : bigsaw      edit it
> enter                                 now searching for bigsaw
>
> Do these three examples describe the desired behaviour ?

I think you have it exactly, except that the empry bracks wouldn't be
there.  It would just be:
Search: blahblah

Chris A
--
Chris Allegretta        http://www.asty.org

"Share and Enjoy" - Douglas Adams, 1952 - 2001