nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] what to do about --disable-wrapping-as-root

From: Jordi Mallach
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] what to do about --disable-wrapping-as-root
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 11:27:21 +0100

On Thu, Nov 24, 2005 at 12:53:46AM -0500, David Lawrence Ramsey wrote:
> > That would be a good solution, IMO, and I think that was the best idea
> > offered when we were discussing it.
> That's good to know.  I remember the root .nanorc idea's being
> suggested, but I don't remember anything about nano-tiny.  In any case,
> no one's objected so far, so if I don't hear any objections/negative
> comments in the next few days, I'm going to go ahead with this.

The reason this was added is Debian's installer uses nano in the case
when a user choses to edit APT's sources list at the end of the
installation phase.

By default, nano would be wrapping lines and many newbie users would
mess up their file, which needs to be 1 line per source.

Relying on a nanorc wasn't feasible because the system wasn't even
completely installed yet, and shipping a default .nanorc for root in the
nano package is a hack which I really dislike.

Making debian-installer call nano --no-wrap is equally ugly, because the
installer doesn't actually call nano, it calls "editor", which is a
symlink to the current default text editor in the system. At install
time, this is nano. The idea is that you call "editor" with no arguments
and it "just works".

So that left us with --disable-wrapping-as-root.

My head is spinning a bit today, so I'm not sure if your proposal fixes
any of these. Does it?

Jordi Mallach PĂ©rez  --  Debian developer     http://www.debian.org/
address@hidden     address@hidden     http://www.sindominio.net/