nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] set brackets in .nanorc

From: John M. Gabriele
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] set brackets in .nanorc
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 11:50:21 -0800

> John M. Gabriele wrote:
>  > What does using
>  >
>  >     set brackets "'")}]>"
>  >
>  > in your .nanorc currently affect? Without that line
>  > I can already bounce between matching brackets/braces
>  > with 'ESC ]' -- uncommenting it doesn't seem to change
>  > anything...
>
> It affects what punctuation can end sentences, which is only used when
> justifying paragraphs.

When I justify a paragraph, it looks like everything between the two
blank lines (that is, between \n\n and \n\n) gets justified. How does
punctuation like "'")}]>" enter the picture? To me, they don't have
anything to do with justifying paragraphs (that is, making lines
end after a given number of characters, but not in the middle of
a word).

BTW, why does the double-quote show up in the middle of that clump
of funny characters "'")}]>"? Do the double-quotes on the outside
of '")}]> not count?

Also, my .nanorc contains:

## The characters treated as closing punctuation.  They cannot contain
## blank characters.  Only closing punctuation, optionally followed by
## closing brackets, can end sentences.
##
# set punct ".?!"

and that sounds a little like what you're talking about above...

If not, what does this "punct" setting affect? That is, why would
nano care about what character ends a sentence?

>  If you want to change what brackets are used for
> matching, you'll have to use the "matchbrackets" rcfile option, which is
> only available in current CVS at the moment.  (Let me know if the
> comments in nanorc.sample explain the format for it clearly enough.
> Thanks in advance.)

Sure, as soon as I understand it. :)

---J