nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] statusbar blanking

From: David Lawrence Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] statusbar blanking
Date: Mon, 22 May 2006 09:59:01 -0400

Benno Schulenberg wrote:

<snip>

> Shouldn't there be a check_statusblank() in parse_kbinput()?  And
> then remove it from everywhere else?  Attached patch seems to work
> fine here, but surely I'm overlooking something.

Applied with a few tweaks.  I moved the call to get_kbinput(), just
after the parse_kbinput() loop (so that escape sequences are properly
counted as single keystrokes) and only used it when reading from the
edit window (so that pressing a non-Y/N key at the "Save modified
buffer" prompt doesn't blank it out) and it appears to be working just
fine.  Thanks.

> Something else: when in the File Browser, pressing plain W equals
> ^W, plain G equals ^_, and plain E equals ^X.  Is this intentional?

Yes.  It's for compatibility with Pico's built-in file browser, which
doesn't match Pico at all in terms of shortcuts.

> When dealing with files one normally works with globbing, not
> with regular expressions.  When in the File Browser trying to
> search for *rc, I found the error message '[ Bad regex "*rc":
> Invalid preceding regular expression ]' at first quite confusing.
> This is just a remark; it would really go too far to add a comment
> about this in the "Browser Search Command Help Text".

I think your changes to the ^W and ^W^R comments handle this nicely,
since they now explicitly mention strings or regular expressions.  If
they mentioned wildcards, then there would be globbing-related
confusion.