nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] ruby syntax highlight patterns REDUX

From: David Lawrence Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] ruby syntax highlight patterns REDUX
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2006 12:36:27 -0400

John M. Gabriele wrote:

<snip>

> Just curious -- why do you replace '\t' with a literal tab character,
> for example, in the "symbols" pattern?

Because, as far as I can find out, there's no guarantee that all regex
implementations will replace \t with a literal tab, and I'm a bit
paranoid when it comes to compatibility.  (This is also why all regexes
longer than 256 bytes are split up into separate strings, since regex
implementations aren't reuired to read more than 256 characters at a
time.)

<snip>

> Actually, the point of that little change to the nanorc patterns was
> that I see you use two styles of comments in the nanorc file: those
> starting with '##' (cyan) and those starting with '##' (brightblue).
> It turns out to actually be more readable if these two are in slightly
> different colors (or maybe one bright and one plain). Try it and
> you'll see what I mean. That's why I had that
>
> icolor cyan "^[[:space:]]*##.*$"
>
> after the other comment-syntax line in there. IMO, cyan works very
> nicely for comments.

Applied then.