nano-devel

Re: Available keys. Was: Re: [Nano-devel] Re: A suggestion - set and got

From: John M. Gabriele
Subject: Re: Available keys. Was: Re: [Nano-devel] Re: A suggestion - set and goto mark
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2006 13:09:43 -0700 (PDT)

--- David Lawrence Ramsey <address@hidden> wrote:

> John M. Gabriele wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
>  > Is there a shortage of available keys? Looking at the main help screen
>  > using nano 1.3.11, it looks like the following keys are not bound to
>  > anything:
>
> See below.  Note that I'm assuming you're using current CVS and not
> 1.3.11.

No. I'd grabbed the current version via anon cvs, but had trouble
building (at home using Debian Stable). I'll try again later and
report the problems I'm having.

>  > (My notes on what the key seems to actually do comes after the two
>  > dashes.)
>  >
>  > Control keys:

Hm. I just realized... I left out those keys above the number keys...
I know there's no difference between ^e and ^E, but it slipped my mind
that the numbers may be recognized differently from the symbols above
them (i.e. ^1 vs. ^!, ^2 vs. ^@, and so on, and same with the Meta's:
M-3 vs. M-#,..). Can nano tell the difference between M-4 and M-$?

Also, thank you for the detailed reply re. those various keys. I need
to chew on that for a bit and also maybe try to put it into the faq
unless someone beats me to it...

---John