nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] some whitespace and several changed messages

From: David Lawrence Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] some whitespace and several changed messages
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 23:27:22 -0400

Benno Schulenberg wrote:

<snip>

> A substring of the new Browser Search Command Help Text ends in a
> space on a line by itself.  This had me a bit confused during
> translation, the space not being visible in KBabel.  I think it's
> better to put the space at the start of the next substring.  Attached
> patch does this.  For consistency it does this also for another
> singular space.

Interesting idea, but this sounds more like a KBabel problem than a nano
problem to me.  Couldn't highlighting the text with e.g. mouse selection
show any spaces at the ends of strings?

> Double quotes were added to several messages, but for the following
> one this may cause a little puzzlement:
> > Argument \"%s\" has unterminated \"
>
> Resulting in:
>
>   Error in /usr/local/etc/nanorc on line 20:
>     Argument ""/home/ben/nil" has unterminated "
>
> The following would be slightly clearer, in my opinion:
>
>     Argument '"/home/ben/nil' has unterminated "

Applied, with Nick Warne's suggested improvement (adding "an").

> Further, the Execute Command Help Text uses the word "menu"
> where "mode" is more appropriate, I think.  See the first patch.

Applied.

> The second patch suggests some changes to the help texts, mostly the
> use of the word "Toggle" for the toggling Meta key combinations. > And it adds a period to two messages that are sentences: it helps a
> tiny bit to distinguish them from error messages.  And it removes
> some periods elsewhere, as other statusbar messages don't have one
> either.

Applied with a few tweaks.

> Something that occurred to me while toying about with the toggles,
> is that switching on Appending or Prepending should clear the
> current filename: I can't think of any good use of prepending or
> appending the current file to itself.

Maybe, but if you accidentally toggle it, you generally don't want to
lose the filename, which is why it works the way it does.  For the same
reason, switching to the "Go to Line" prompt from the search prompt no
longer clears the input if it isn't a valid number.

> And to conclude, one question: why so many newlines before 'Use "fg"
> to return to nano'?

A minor mistake on my part.  Fixed in CVS.