nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] updates, and relicensing questions...

From: Chris Allegretta
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] updates, and relicensing questions...
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 18:34:38 -0400

On Wed, Aug 01, 2007 at 11:10:49AM -0500, David Ramsey wrote:
> There's another possibility, though, at least for the manpages.
> According to this link:
>
> http://www.gnu.org/prep/maintain/maintain.html#License-Notices-for-Other-Files
>
> manual pages shorter than 300 lines long can also use these terms:
>
> Copying and distribution of this file, with or without modification, are
> permitted in any medium without royalty provided the copyright notice
> and this notice are preserved.
>
> I've checked, and all of nano's manual pages, after being formatted via
> groff of course, are shorter than 300 lines.

It seems bad to impose an aribtrary limit on our documentation like
that; if the document becomes more than 300 lines we are suddenly out of
compliance with this directive.

My preference would be to be to use GPL3 for the man pages, as it's an
approved FSF license and Debian doesn't have issues with it.  No one
from the FSF has approached us to yet about the mess that is current
man page licensing so I dont think they will explicitly care here either
(at least until the code copyright is turned over to them...)

> A few other weird bits: the nano.1 manpage and the nano info page are
> both copyrighted by Chris Allegretta (no problem here); the nanorc.5
> manpage is copyrighted by the Free Software Foundation (possibly a
> problem, given what you've said above), the rnano.1 manpage is
> copyrighted by Thijs Kinkhorst (and probably by you, as it was
> originally based on your nano-tiny manpage for Debian; I don't know if
> this is a problem); and the translations are copyrighted by
> Jean-Philippe Gu?rard (no problem here).  Given this, don't we have to
> get ahold of the FSF and Thijs to be able to get the licensing changed
> at all?

Well if we are unable to, or Thijs does not approve, we could write a
new one from scratch, or base it off another document once those
issues are sorted out (e.g. the main man page)

Chris A
--
Chris Allegretta        http://www.asty.org

v4sw7CUPYhw5ln6pr5Pck4ma7u7Lw0m6g/l7DUi5e6t5Ab6THen7g6Ma29s5r3p-4 hackerkey.com