nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] updates, and relicensing questions...

From: David Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] updates, and relicensing questions...
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 22:59:03 -0500

On 8/2/07, Chris Allegretta <address@hidden> wrote:
> It seems bad to impose an aribtrary limit on our documentation like
> that; if the document becomes more than 300 lines we are suddenly out of
> compliance with this directive.

True.

> My preference would be to be to use GPL3 for the man pages, as it's an
> approved FSF license and Debian doesn't have issues with it.

Same preference here, especially after reading through some of the
proposed alternatives (no offense to anyone of course).  The GPL3/GFDL2
dual licensing Jordi proposed doesn't sound too bad to me, though, if
the FSF decides to start caring about it (see below).

> No one from the FSF has approached us to yet about the mess that is
> current man page licensing

They have sent one or two emails about it, but you're right; given the
long silence afterward, they don't seem to care much about it.

> so I dont think they will explicitly care here either (at least until
> the code copyright is turned over to them...)

Well, they already have it on nanorc.5, unless that's an oversight
somehow.  Both are things to check...

<snip>

> Well if we are unable to, or Thijs does not approve, we could write a
> new one from scratch, or base it off another document once those
> issues are sorted out (e.g. the main man page)

Also true.