nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] on the topic of style (indentation)

From: Chris Allegretta
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] on the topic of style (indentation)
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2014 05:54:43 -0400

On Apr 4, 2014 5:12 PM, "Benno Schulenberg" <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 4, 2014, at 22:16, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > what style is the code supposed to be using ?  it's not GNU that's for sure.
> > the indentation is pretty inconsistent, and using tab stops of 8 doesn't make
> > them all "disappear".
>
> Not all, but most.  From my first readings I inferred that the
> indentation step was four, but the tab size eight.

Again this was the intent eons ago.

> > it'd be nice if it was just tabs for indentation ...
>
> That would indeed be nice -- I would be okay with a standard
> tab size of four (-T4).  Chris?

Either using just tabs or N spaces are fine (I write as much python as C nowadays), with the obvious caveat that after reindenting everything we'll lose the ability to track 99% of changes which came up using svn blame, which goes back more than a decade.

If we were to do this though, we could solve 2 issues at the same time and  simultaneously switch to git sans history conversion, since the history would be substantially less useful at that point anyway, and its clear the SVN conversion is a major PIA.

I'd propose making such changes be the first two steps done after the next major release as opposed to doing it arbitrarily.