nano-devel

[Nano-devel] Feature request: screen ruler

From: Darren Austin
Subject: [Nano-devel] Feature request: screen ruler
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 21:33:08 +0100

Hi all,
  Long time nano user (and pico before that!) user, but the first time i've
posted to this list :)

I do *a lot* of work in nano (coding, writing, scripting, note taking,
pretty much everything involving text) and have often found myself needing
to align things or use a set length of characters on the screen.

So, my thought was that a togglable ruler (in the second line of the screen
- just below the main titlebar) would be very helpful when editing files or
needing to layout code output to a fixed length, for example.

I often paste something like this into my code in order to have a ruler:

Would it be possible to add this feature to a future nano?
Perhaps not in that exact style/format, maybe using some of the ncurses
lines and deliminators glyphs?

I have a few more ideas for ruler type features, but wanted to see if this
type of thing would be of interest before writing a long winded message
about it :)

Cheers,
Darren.