nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Fwd: .gz support

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Fwd: .gz support
Date: Sun, 06 Sep 2015 21:10:06 +0200

On Wed, Sep 2, 2015, at 21:54, Chris Allegretta wrote:
> [...]

My first reaction was: don't do that, you can't edit compressed
files.  And: when allowing that, people might start to expect to
be able to edit all kinds of files.  For example, when opening an
mp3 file, edit the tags.  Or when opening an odt file, to allow
to edit the text.

(By the way, I thought that odt was a human-readable format,
but such files are full of binary garbage.)

But this .gz stuff, wouldn't it be better to implement this
through a nano.sh script?  A script that detects the kind of
compression, decompresses, calls nano, and recompresses the
flle aftwerward?

Benno

--
http://www.fastmail.com - Accessible with your email software