nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] What's up with chris, and how to move forwrd

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] What's up with chris, and how to move forwrd
Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2015 12:27:18 +0100

On Wed, Oct 28, 2015, at 01:50, address@hidden wrote:
> You could also create a flag for old nano behaviour in case things
> change too much.

The policy is to keep the default behaviour the same.  With
flags and rcfile options one can improve on this behaviour.

> > Well...  If I had been nano's maintainer over the past ten years,
> > I would have said no to libmagic support,
>
> I don't think he's ever opened a file with no extension.

I have, and then most times header-line recognition kicks in.
And when not, and I want colouring, I use option -Y.

> I like libmagic support and, you can compile it out if you want.

I always compile it out, because it is so heavy: it slows down
startup enormously (relatively speaking).

> The only other shortcoming I find distasteful is that nano has no
> reformat paragraph support, for when you add or subtract text from
> within a paragraph and the lines wrap.

But it has.  Does ^J not do what you want?  (When you want to
rejustify an indented paragraph, you need to have autoindent
switched on for this to work.  You can toggle it with Alt+I.)

Benno

--
http://www.fastmail.com - IMAP accessible web-mail