nano-devel

[Nano-devel] Proposal w/ prelim patch for command line argument to speci

From: Mike Scalora
Subject: [Nano-devel] Proposal w/ prelim patch for command line argument to specify nanorc file
Date: Sat, 4 Jun 2016 10:52:09 -0600

Proposal:

Allow user to specify file-path to session specific nanorc file. This
would allow a rudimentary way to have different groups of settings.

Use case:

The nano project uses 8 column tabs with 4 column indents. The htop
project uses tabtospaces and 3 column indents. Most web projects I'm
familiar with use 2 or 4 column indents. Using different settings for
each project would be facilitated with a project specific nanorc file.

Note: The implementation uses realpath() which has been widely
available but not standardized until 2001. From my reading it has been
made more portable by Gnulib (see:
https://www.gnu.org/software/gnulib/manual/html_node/realpath.html )
but that may not be good enough. It's use could be removed by relying
on normal working directory behaviour for relpath resolution although
I think it is valuable to let the user know what the actual path that
was used and/or attempted.

This patch is at the straw-man or POC stage, no documentation changes yet.

Comments?

-Mike