nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Adding of Auto-Complete feature in nano repository

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Adding of Auto-Complete feature in nano repository
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2016 13:30:54 +0200

On Wed, Oct 5, 2016, at 15:50, Sumedh Pendurkar wrote:
> I have made the change. Now the function looks at the entire file in a
> single loop(everything else remains the same)

Okay.

> I have attached the updated code's patch file considering all the
> suggestions.

When I run 'git am
0001-updated-coding-standards-and-now-autocomplete-functi.patch'
I get this:

Applying: updated coding standards and now autocomplete function searches
through the entire file once
.git/rebase-apply/patch:22: trailing whitespace.
        const char *auto_complete_tag = N_("Auto Complete");
.git/rebase-apply/patch:65: trailing whitespace.
void complete_max(char words[][WORDLEN_MAX], int start, int no_of_words)
.git/rebase-apply/patch:78: trailing whitespace.
/* Copy the word from the line which contains the pattern
.git/rebase-apply/patch:101: space before tab in indent.
                        break;
.git/rebase-apply/patch:120: trailing whitespace.
                if (check_line->data[to_find_start_pos] == ' ' ||
check_line->data[to_find_start_pos] == '\t' ||
warning: squelched 19 whitespace errors
warning: 24 lines add whitespace errors.

In other words: get rid of trailing whitespace, don't put spaces before tabs,
and so on.  In short: normalize the whitespace.  The indentation step is 4,
but a tab is 8 spaces.  Please use nano itself to edit the files, without
changing the default tab size.

In your patch, I have changed ^A to ^], which is still an unused
keystroke.

With that patch applied, when I run 'src/nano +1 README', and
type "the" followed by ^], then it says on the statusbar:

  [ Suggested Words : the   these   then:   then ]

First, when I type "the", it shouldn't suggest "the" -- it
should only suggest words that are /longer/ than that.
Second, in the suggestions it shouldn't include punctuaction.
So, I think in this case the statusbar should say this:

  [ Possible completions: these  then ]

Third, when a completion is made, it shouldn't beep and say "Done".
This is maybe nice for testing purposes, but for normal everyday use,
a successful completion should be entirely silent and quiet.

Benno

--
http://www.fastmail.com - Or how I learned to stop worrying and
                          love email again