nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Nano with Line Numbering

From: Faissal Bensefia
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Nano with Line Numbering
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2016 14:48:00 +0100

On 11/10/16 10:34, Benno Schulenberg wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 10, 2016, at 21:54, Faissal Bensefia wrote:
>> On 10/10/16 12:37, Benno Schulenberg wrote:
>>> Probably it will be
>>> cheaper to compute a COLS - margin up front and use that everywhere
>>> instead of repeating the computation many times.
>>
>> Maybe, but we'd have to anticipate every time either margin or COLS
>> changed.
>
> But that is easy.  COLS can only change upon a SIGWINCH, which
> is one location.  And margin is set in just three locations.
>
>> Really, it's a nitpick that can be dealt with in future after
>> it's pushed.
>
> True.  But... polish is nice.  :)

Maybe in future I'll polish it, but I'm increasingly finding less time
to work on this because I've started college (I'm literally doing this
in class right now lol), hence why I'm suggesting we get the main
functionality done & pushed now and deal with optimisations later.

> You will need the attached small modification to your patch,
> because display_string() is also used to put things on the
> statusbar, where margin is irrelevant.

Done.

> I would like to see how things look without the vertical line
> beside the line numbers, so please provide a version of your
> patch without that line, with just a single space between
> line number and text.
>
> Benno

I highly advise against it, most text editors I use have a line between
the two or a difference of colour between the text and the margin for
readability, but whatever, I've sent you two different versions of the
patch.

~Faissal Bensefia