nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Nano with Line Numbering

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Nano with Line Numbering
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 20:56:47 +0200

On Thu, Oct 13, 2016, at 05:00, Brand Huntsman wrote:
> On Wed, 12 Oct 2016 14:10:08 +0200
> Benno Schulenberg <address@hidden> wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 12, 2016, at 13:59, Faissal Bensefia wrote:
> > > Or are you referring to something like A_REVERSE?
> >
> > No.  I was thinking of something like magenta.
>
> Why would line numbers use a specific color when the rest of the UI
> uses reverse video and the console color?

Hmm.  It's been a long time since I've looked at nano in its default
"colors" -- mine has had a blue titlebar, green statusbar, and red
with yellow help lines for more than two years now.  :)

> It would be best if reverse video was the default, to match the UI,

I thought this would look ugly, but I've tried it, and... it's not so bad.
On a Linux console I don't like it much, but on my normal black-on-white
Gnome Terminal it looks pretty good.

> and an option was added to change the foreground and background
> colors of the line numbers.

Yes, that would be good and consistent.

> > when not using a color, a separator line is probably
> > better than just a space
>
> What about an option to use either line or space?

Hm.  No.  When being able to change the color of the line numbers,
any extra spacing or lines are superfluous in my opinion.  There is
no need to offer /that/ much customizability.

Faissal?  Can you make a version of your patch with the line number
in reverse video? -- but not just the line number, also any leading
spaces.  Let the option for choosing a color be for the moment; it
can be added later.

Benno

--
http://www.fastmail.com - IMAP accessible web-mail