nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] softwrapping without varying row length

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] softwrapping without varying row length
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2017 12:35:23 +0100

On Sat, Mar 11, 2017, at 01:00, David Ramsey wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 10, 2017 at 6:29 AM, Benno Schulenberg
> <address@hidden> wrote:
> > This is just a proof of concept -- [...]
>
> Are you planning on finishing it yourself or having me finish it?

If you think you can make it work (also on the statusbar),
go ahead.

> Or is this something where you add this to git after it's finished,

Don't know.  I don't know yet if I want nano to have this
"placeholder" behavior.  It's kind of nice that whenever
you type a character (whether one or two columns wide),
the /whole/ affected line shifts right, all the softwrapped
chunks.  But it's kind of weird, and different from what
people might know from other editors.

> I get the softwrap navigation changes up to but not including the
> variable-length chunk changes up to your standard and in git,

Let's focus on that.

> and then
> we hash out how to get the variable-length chunk changes up to your
> standard and in git so that nano can both properly emulate vim/emacs and
> break lines on whitespace?  (Which would require ripping this change out
> and replacing it, unfortunately, since the two approaches conflict.)

Later.  One step at a time.

Benno

--
http://www.fastmail.com - Faster than the air-speed velocity of an