nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] the cursor getting placed outside the terminal

From: David Ramsey
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] the cursor getting placed outside the terminal
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2017 10:10:42 -0500

On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 4:13 AM, Benno Schulenberg <address@hidden>
wrote:
> It seems you missed setting the terminal to fifty columns?

Argh; I forgot to mention that, but yes.

<snip>

> No, it is placed in the very last column of the row, for me.

<snip>

> No, it is placed just beyond the last column of the row.  This is an
> artifact of using 'stty cols'.  When using a terminal that is actually
> fifty columns wide, it works fine -- for me -- both on xterm and on a
> VTE-based one.

Hmmm.  I was actually resizing the terminal to 50x24.  If that doesn't
produce the same effects as "stty cols 50", that puts this issue
somewhat in doubt.

> The cause is that when the position is displayed on the bottom row of
> the screen, it doesn't fit, and the actual cursor remains "stuck" in
> column 51 of the bottom row.  But ncurses thinks that the cursor
> cannot go offscreen, so it thinks it must be in column 50.  So when
> the cursor is moved to row 2, column 50, ncurses just sends a bunch of
> cursor-up commands and thinks it has put the cursor in the right
> place.

So it's really an ncurses bug, then?

> We could add a similar workaround as in commit 0a18d891, but since the
> problem does not happen when the terminal is actually fifty columns
> wide, I don't think it's needed.  (And maybe the above workaround
> could go too, as the problem it fixes is also just an artifact of
> 'stty cols' -- it no longer happens on modern VTEs that actually have
> the advertised size.)

Okay.  Not to mention that with the latest varisoft change (thank you
for applying it, by the way), the cursor is no longer placed past the
end of the screen anyway.