nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] RFC: should error messages get colored differently? and

From: Brand Huntsman
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] RFC: should error messages get colored differently? and in red by default?
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2018 01:57:01 -0700

On Thu, 15 Feb 2018 02:17:48 -0600
David Ramsey <address@hidden> wrote:

> Brand Huntsman:
> > Adding A_BLINK with A_REVERSE or a black background causes the black
> > to brighten, ending up with the unreadable "bold,black,red" issue.
>
> Since non-black blinking text on a black background works perfectly
> well here, and we're talking about the statusbar... is there a typo
> in that statement, so "A_BLINK with A_REVERSE *on* a black
> background" is what causes the problem?  Or am I misunderstanding
> something?

A_BOLD not only bolds the foreground color, but also brightens it by changing
the code from 3x to 9x. It appears that on rxvt-unicode without blink support,
the A_BLINK does a similar thing but with the background color. It brightens
the background color by changing the code from 4x to 10x, but only if a
background color is specified. A_BLINK by itself or with a foreground color
won't do anything to the background color.

[with a default black background]
blink:5, bold:1, reverse:7, red fg:31, black bg:40

This works - it becomes bold black on brightred
echo -e "\e[5;1;7;31m test \e[0m"

But specifying a black background produces bold brightblack on brightred
echo -e "\e[5;1;7;31;40m test \e[0m"