nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] feature request -- shaded groups of lines

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] feature request -- shaded groups of lines
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2018 10:17:03 +0100

Op 20-03-18 om 23:04 schreef Michael Williamson:
> It would be helpful for me sometimes if nano could highlight horizontally,
> with background shading, groups of 3 or 4 rows alternating with un-highlighted
> groups of rows. That would make it easier to scan across tables of numbers,
> for example.

Interesting.  Do you know of any other editor that has a similar feature?

But, if it's only sometimes that you need this feature, you can help
yourself.  First add the following two lines to your ~/.nanorc:

syntax table
color ,blue "^:.*"

Then open the file that contains your tabular data:

  nano  --syntax=table  yourdata

and type:
  M-\  M-:  - <Left> <Down> - <Left> <Down> - <Left> <Down>
  : <Left> <Down> : <Left> <Down> : <Left> <Down>  M-:
followed by a series of M-; until you reach end of file.

(It's not the same as a background hue over the full width of the
screen, but when your table is well-filled, it goes a long way.)

When you're done editing your data, you remove the extra characters:
  M-R M-R ^. <Enter> <Enter> A ^S ^X

Instead of defining the macro and doing the replacements by hand,
you could bind two keys to strings with the relevant commands.

Benno