nano-devel

[Nano-devel] how to remove a rogue snap from snapcraft.io?

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: [Nano-devel] how to remove a rogue snap from snapcraft.io?
Date: Thu, 24 May 2018 15:05:38 +0200

Hello Viorel,

A while ago, you asked for a snap of nano to be made available for
Ubuntu Core.  I replied that we don't provide binaries -- we just
provide the source.  But some days ago, I noticed that Ubuntu now
somehow provides a snap for nano:

  https://snapcraft.io/nano-editor

However, it is an old version: 2.6.3.  And the author of the snap
claims to be a Roderick Smith, but in the contact address he links
back to the nano website.  :|  It makes me suspect that this snap
isn't quite kosher.

(Furthermore, the "Users by distribution" info must be fake, because
why would Ubuntu 18.04 and 17.10 and 17.04 users install this snap
when their base install comes with a newer version of nano?)

Anyway, I tried signing up for snapcraft.io, but I am unwilling to
accept their terms of use.  Maybe you are less touchy and can sign
up?  Or maybe you simply know how I can download that snap to see
what is inside?  Or do you know how to let snapcraft.io know that
they shouldn't be distributing that snap because its origin is
unknown?  And anyhow it's too old?

Just to see how it would go, I've made a snap from the latest
version of nano and have uploaded it here:

  https://nano-editor.org/dist/test/nano_2.9.7_amd64.snap
  https://nano-editor.org/dist/test/nano_2.9.7_amd64.snap.asc

If you can, please check if this snap works for you on a normal
desktop system.  (This snap is produced on an Unbuntu 17.10 box,
not on a 16.04.3 system as the manual recommends, which I find
ridiculous: what good are snaps when you must have a particular
system in order to produce them.)

Benno