nano-devel

[Nano-devel] File size problem in the status bar

From: Liu Hao
Subject: [Nano-devel] File size problem in the status bar
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2018 22:48:50 +0800

Dear developers,

I am using nano from Git master @ c46696d40c. I have found two minor issues about the file size in bytes field in the status bar. Please check.

1) With auto indent turned on, on a line with two-TAB indention for example, when I press Enter, nano inserts a new line with two TAB characters in the front, so the file size gets increased by 3. This is the correct behavior. However, if I undo this operation using Alt-U, the new line is deleted and the file size is only decreased by 1, so the size displayed will be larger than the actual size by 2.

Expected behavior: The file size should revert to its old value before pressing the Enter key.

2) I intermittently get garbage file size values on the status bar. I don't know how to reproduce this. Eventually I had Valgrind attached to nano and it caught use of an uninitialized value in winio.c on the following line:

```
charpct = (openfile->totsize == 0) ? 0 : 100 * sum / openfile->totsize;
```
, where `openfile->totsize` seemed uninitialized, as `sum` looked normal. I have had Valgrind log attached. Hope it helps.

--
Best regards,
LH_Mouse