nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] [Request] allow deleting a marked region without affect

From: Liu Hao
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] [Request] allow deleting a marked region without affecting the cutbuffer
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2018 10:44:08 +0800

在 2018-10-09 00:02, Benno Schulenberg 写道:
I can see why you expect <Bsp> and <Del> to work that way, because that
is what they do in some other editors, like Gedit and Geany, and these
behave that way because... the whole desktop works that way.

This is partially correct. A more important reason is that all Windows editors work that way, at least since Windows 95, and Gedit etc. just follows this behavior without any changes.

But... do you ever consciously use <Bsp> or <Del> to delete a marked
region in another editor because you know you have something on the
clipboard that you want to use later?

Yes I do not want to destroy the cut buffer unless I really want to move text into it. <Delete> is also a bit more convenient than <Ctrl+X> or <Shift-Delete>.

And when we would make this, what would be the next request?  That nano
should use the desktop's clipboard instead of its own private cutbuffer?
And then that typing any character when a region is marked should delete
and overwrite the entire region?

I made no such request. But if you really would like to hear about it: If nano could preserve the cut buffer after it exits (and reload it the next time it starts, like the search and replace patterns), it would be good. Again, I didn't make such a request.

The ^S and Shift+arrows could be added without changing any of the other
behaviors of nano.  But <Bsp> and <Del> affecting regions is a behavior
change, and would most likely have to be parked behind an option.

The current behavior AFAICT is useless. If a person wants to delete the character preceding or following the caret she/he should turn the mark off before proceeding - this is true almost everywhere else, either on Windows or non-Windows. If a selection region is active it is deleted (or overwritten).

--
Best regards,
LH_Mouse