nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] [Request] allow deleting a marked region without affect

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] [Request] allow deleting a marked region without affecting the cutbuffer
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2018 12:05:40 +0200

Op 13-10-18 om 07:00 schreef David Ramsey:
> Brand Huntsman:
>> Hard and soft marking both have pros and cons to using them, but code
>> that uses them shouldn't care which one the user chose. So Del/Bsp
>> should delete hard and soft regions equally or there should be an
>> option to enable both, with neither deleting by default (I'm guessing
>> this is what you mean by "an option to cause the behavior change"). I
>> think treating hard and soft separately would cause confusion as to
>> why it deletes for one but not the other.
>
> After some more thought, I'd agree with treating hard and soft marks the
> same way, since there's no visual cue to indicate which the user has,
> and a mixture of the two just muddles things more, so tying behavior to
> mark type will just open up a major can of worms.

I don't think this would be a problem, but okay, an option it is.

> The main problem here is that Backspace and Delete have to work the way
> they do now when the hardmark is on, in order to maintain Pico
> compatibility.  An easier solution would be to keep Backspace and Delete
> doing what they do now, and just use a new keystroke to accomplish the
> nuke/erase/whatever function.

No.  The whole point of having the erase function is to be able to make
<Del> and <Bsp> behave like in other programs (Firefox, Thunderbird,
Gedit, and so on).  That the user can bind this function to some other
key when they wish, is just a happy side effect.

>> The Del/Bsp is just another key that only erases for selections.
>
> This doesn't, for the reason stated above.

They do, but only when an option is used.  What to name the option?
--delandbspzap, --delzaps, --zapregion?  Or maybe just plain --zap,
because there are more options that don't make much sense when seen
in isolation: --locking, --smooth, --preserve, --fill, --unix.

>> Does anyone have a preference for one of these? Perhaps "erase"?
>
> I prefer "erase".  "Blot" and "wipe" make me think more of screen
> display effects, not text editing effects.

I would have preferred "wipe", but David's argument against it makes
sense.  So "erase" is fine.  But, searching for a free one-letter
option brought -Z, and that made me think of "zap", which might be
even better.

Benno