nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] dropping an anchor at a place where wants to return

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] dropping an anchor at a place where wants to return
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2018 19:43:25 +0100

Op 31-10-18 om 20:30 schreef David Ramsey:
> I'd actually prefer Marco's mechanism.  I'd usually make use of only one
> anchor, but there are times where there are two or three places I need
> to jump to, and his way allows for more than one.

Jumping to two or three places should be easy enough with M-W and M-Q,
no?  For the example that you give with a global, searching for it and
then jumping to the different occurrences with M-W and M-Q should be
even easier than setting a bookmark: it saves striking a combo to set
the bookmark.  (If there are globals whose names are not distinct enough
for this to work, then I consider this a "bug" and a renaming patch is
in order.)  But I know what you mean: bookmarking the places of interest
and then being able to cycle through these places sounds attractive.  I
just can't see myself using it.

>> 3) M-" always sets the anchor; M-' jumps to it.  Clearing the anchor
>> is not needed.
>
> Of your three forms, this makes the most sense to me.

It has the least surprises.

>> But this eats up two keystrokes.
>
> If they're needed for proper navigation, that's not so much of an issue
> (and this also applies to the hypothetical three in Marco's version).

It is an issue.  There are almost no free key combos left, so I want
to assign them sparingly.  And I want to make it easier to remember
what combo to press for which function -- when there are two for the
anchoring: which was which again?  If you press drop instead of jump,
you've lost the point where you wanted to return.

>> And somehow I find typing Shift+Alt+key quite awkward.
>
> Agreed.  But Esc followed by Shift-' for " should work just as well,
> shouldn't it?
It would work, but... I find it at least as awkward as a three-finger
combo.

Benno