nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Different keybindings behaviour when reading from a pip

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Different keybindings behaviour when reading from a pipe - is this expected? -- No
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2019 19:25:23 +0100

Hello Enrico,

Op 05-03-19 om 18:51 schreef Enrico Mioso:
> I observed the fact that when invoking nano like:
> cat /proc/interrupts | nano -
>
> pressing ctrl+end / ctrl+home won't take me at the end and beginning of the
> file
> respectively, as it happens when invoking nano like
> nano /proc/interrupts

Ctrl+Home and Ctrl+End work fine for me in both invocation methods.

The difference between the two is that when letting nano read from
standard input, the cursor will be placed at the end of the buffer,
at the end of the text that was "sucked in" through the pipe, whereas
when invoking nano on a file, the cursor will be placed on the first
line (when you don't use position history or haven't visited the file
before).

Maybe switching on line numbers (briefly) will give you a sense of
where you are in the buffer?

Benno