nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] Different keybindings behaviour when reading from a pip

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] Different keybindings behaviour when reading from a pipe --- it's a bug
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2019 20:43:13 +0100

Op 12-03-19 om 14:57 schreef Enrico Mioso:
> $ cat /tmp/interrupts | nano -
> Takes me to the content of the file, last line.
> Now, ctrl+home and ctrl+end won't allow me to move at the first line.

Aaah!  You are working on a Linux console (a VT), not in an emulator
like xterm or Konsole.  I had tried it in Xfce Terminal and couldn't
reproduce it.  Trying it now on a VT, I see the issue too: when nano
has read from standard input on a VT, it doesn't recognize any of
the modified cursor keys:  Shift+Up/Down do not select text,
Ctrl+Left/Right do not jump words, and so on.

This can be avoided by doing the ioctl(0, VT_GETSTATE, &dummy) much
later: after all the files have been read.  But I have to check that
this doesn't affect other things.  That may take a couple of days.

Thanks for reporting the bug!

Benno