nano-devel

Re: [Nano-devel] proposal to free up some key bindings

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: [Nano-devel] proposal to free up some key bindings
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2019 10:56:49 +0200

Op 10-06-19 om 17:37 schreef David Niklas:
> Benno, you've said several times that we have too many keys bound.

I have said no such thing.  I've said that there are almost no bindable
keystrokes left.  But... do we need any more keystrokes at the moment?

> You said that my proposal was "an idea". That was almost 5 months ago.
>
> Can you take this to the next level and actually seriously consider it?

I said it /might/ be an idea.  But looking at it again, it won't work.
The whitespace toggle (M-P) and the auto-indentation toggle (M-I) need
to be single keystrokes -- having them as two-stroke functions would be
awkward.  For me the same goes for the linenumbers and softwrap toggles
(M-N and M-S).  And, for the people that use them, probably the same for
M-M and M-L.  The other seven toggles are maybe used so little that it
wouldn't be a problem if they became two-stroke toggles.  But... if
there are people who need some simple keystrokes for customization,
then let them choose which toggles they can do without and rebind
those keys.  Personally, I have rebound M-K, and if needed I could
do without the M-O, M-H, M-C and M-X toggles.

But true, a Toggles menu could be an additional way of accessing the
toggles instead of a replacement of the current bindings.

The advantage of having a Toggles menu would be that the help lines
would show (very concisely) which toggles are available, without having
to consult ^G M-/.  But at the moment there are thirteen toggles, and
in a default 80-column only twelve fit on the help lines.  Which one
to choose to /not/ show in that case?

Anyway, it will have to wait until after the Tools menu is implemented,
so that M-T will be freed up so that it can be reused for a Toggles menu.

Benno