nano-devel

Re: Backwards (and forwards) compatible nanorc files

From: Saagar Jha
Subject: Re: Backwards (and forwards) compatible nanorc files
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2020 19:57:56 -0800

Saagar Jha

On Jan 6, 2020, at 10:48, Benno Schulenberg <address@hidden> wrote:

Op 06-01-2020 om 06:10 schreef Saagar Jha:
I could probably live with what I have right now when Apple either updates
their version of nano [...]

That seems unlikely.  Apple appears to be allergic to the GPL version 3.
Nano switched to GPLv3 with 2.0.7.  So Apple stopped at 2.0.6.  :|

Yes, they really are. Unfortunately I realized that even if I dropped support for 2.0.6, I’ll still need to work around formatters for a while after that :(

[...] or perhaps you could invoke it with --rcfile= option to pass it a custom
nanorc path to load

Hm.  Yes, I've thought of that before.  Currently there is no way to just
ignore the system's /etc/nanorc file and nevertheless load the user's .nanorc,
because --ignorercfiles skips both of them.  With an rcfile= option, the user
could load just their own .nanorc file, and interpose whatever fancy loading
scheme they like via an alias.  I will file a feature request on Savannah for
this tomorrow, if you don't beat me to it.

I went ahead and created https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/index.php?57547 for this, and would be glad to help out in any way I can!

Benno