nano-devel

Re: RFC: pruning some syntaxes

From: Zach DeCook
Subject: Re: RFC: pruning some syntaxes
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2020 18:09:32 -0400

>https://ourcodeworld.com/articles/read/807/how-to-enable-syntax-highlighting-for-markdown-files-in-gnu-nano
>>
>> It says it's "found around the net", so it's unclear what the license
>is,
>> so we can't include that in nano. Also, it seems to have errors.
>
>I don't know if I fixed those in mine and put them on single lines, but
>a deeper search turned up nothing. There is a completely different
>version at
>https://github.com/scopatz/nanorc/blob/master/markdown.nanorc
>but no license that I could find.

The scopatz repo is GPLv3+. I use their
c,css,Dockerfile,fish,git,go,html,js,lua,makefile,markdown,nanorc,perl,php,python,sh,ts,xml,yaml
 syntax files (and have contributed to some of them). There could be some
improvement with regards to consistency between them and other highlighting
programs/standards (use the same color for strings across languages, e.g. micro
(MIT) links colors to syntax things:
https://github.com/zyedidia/micro/blob/master/runtime/colorschemes/solarized.micro)

(Their syntax definitions look very similar to nano's
https://github.com/zyedidia/highlight/blob/master/syntax_files/markdown.yaml)