nano-devel

Re: a scroll bar on the right that shows position and portion

From: Marco Diego Aurélio Mesquita
Subject: Re: a scroll bar on the right that shows position and portion
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2020 01:39:06 -0300

On Sat, Apr 25, 2020 at 10:41 PM Brand Huntsman <address@hidden> wrote:

> On 06:52 Sat 25-Apr-2020, Brand Huntsman wrote:
> > On 05:39 Sat 25-Apr-2020, Brand Huntsman wrote:
> > > reserves the space on either end of scrollbar for a '+' when lines
> > > above or below the edit window aren't visible.
>
> I've found some issues after using the patches system-wide.
>
> My fix patch falls apart when softwrap is enabled. The knob is hidden
> even if top or bottom line isn't fully visible. And the '+' indicators
> don't work properly. I don't think I found a solution for softwrap when
> I wrote the scroll titlebar indicator.

I think most of the issues are terminal features and should not be
fixed now. The only issue I think may deserve a fix is the problem
related to softwrap. I think these problems are caused because the
patch uses openfile->edittop->lineno and openfile->filebot->lineno.
Instead of using these numbers, we should find the "logical"
linenumber of both the top and bottom of the editwindow.

I see 3 possible approaches:
  1 - Don't fix it:
    No effort but doesn't fix the problem;

  2 - Scan the whole file every time scroll is updated to get
"logical" linenumbers of bottom and top:
    This is not very intrusive but is too much computation just to
update the scroll bar;

  3 - Modify filestruct to store "logical" linenumbers too:
    This is a bit more intrusive: will need to conditionally renumber
logical linenumbers every time a softwraped line is edited. It will
need changes a core struct of the code but will make computations for
the scrollbar very simple and fast.

Benno, which approach is more likely to get the feature accepted?