nano-devel

Re: how should dragging work, and is it worth it?

From: Benno Schulenberg
Subject: Re: how should dragging work, and is it worth it?
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 20:43:17 +0200

Op 26-05-2020 om 06:31 schreef Marco Diego Aurélio Mesquita:
> I have just implemented the way you described as preferable. During my
> quick tests it works just like a gui application, the cursor can go
> offscreen and the screen goes to where it is if it is moved or any
> char is added.
>
> I really think it is worth it.
>
> [...]
>
> Benno, do you want me to post my current proof-of-concept quality code
> for you to test its behavior (and possibly point me to the correct
> direction with the changes) or should I wait before it is more
> merge-worthy quality before sending?

I've already answered that: sit on it, improve it.  We're not in
a hurry.

But... as you said it is big...  The indicator by itself is already
100 lines in total.  If dragging requires more than 50 lines extra...
then let's leave it.

> I think the scrollbar can be made to work just like a "real"
> scrollbar. I see 3 events that must be handled: clicking on the
> buttons, clicking the area between the buttons and the paddle and
> dragging the paddle.

Buttons?  There should be no buttons.  There is just the indicator
and possibly space above and/or below it.  The indicator should be
draggable, and the spaces clickable -- and when the indicator is at
the top or bottom and nano can still scroll further, clicking on the
indicator should scroll further in that direction.

Benno