nano-devel

Re: Fw: nano key bindings

From: Victor Khong - Horsefly Realty
Subject: Re: Fw: nano key bindings
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2023 12:14:32 -0800

^/ for search is a reasonable choice and consistent with Linux user experience.

Victor

On Wed, Jan 11, 2023 at 12:06 PM Chris Allegretta <chrisa@asty.org> wrote:
Hmm, I had forgotten about the new formatter function.

It sounds like we have to reassign something in order to serve as many users as possible in the modern era of 'nano-in-browser'. The logical candidates to me seem to be:

- ^F (move forward one space) - but we may have some users who don't have arrow keys
- ^/ (goto line number) - we already have ^_ and M-G for this, but some may be used to it
- M-F (invoke formatter) - new(er) but is not the most logical keystroke anyway for search IMO

Since the most inconsistent key of the above is '^/', as ^\ is for replace and / is synonymous for searching, I'm actually going to change my suggestion to that instead.  As always interested in hearing what other folks think about this.