nano-devel

Re: Fw: nano key bindings

From: Chris Allegretta
Subject: Re: Fw: nano key bindings
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2023 09:54:46 -0500

On Fri, Jan 13, 2023 at 01:01:58PM +0100, Benno Schulenberg wrote:
> When I try to close my Xfce terminal emulator while nano is still running,
> I get a dialog box asking me "*Close window?* A process is still running."
> Why does the terminal-in-the-browser not have the same feature?
>
> And as Sébastien asks: why does the browser grab only ^W?  Why does it not
> grab ^F to search in the terminal page, ^A to select all text in that page,
> M-E to open the Edit menu of the browser?  And so on.  How does this work?
> Do all other Ctrl+letter and Alt+letter keystrokes of nano work just fine?
> Or are there still a few more that are grabbed by the browser?

It looks like there are a few 'essential' keys that that Firefox does not
to pass through to the session: namely ^W, ^N and ^T. All other keys I tested
seem to pass through to the client.

> Also, when running a terminal-in-the-browser, is nano running locally on
> the same machine as the browser?  Or is a terminal-in-the-browser always
> used to access a remote machine?

Generally no this is generally for accessing a remote machine. For connecting
to a virtualized host this might more frequently be the case.

> > To me, nano's intended audience was always the 1st year University
> > student sitting down at the terminal in their CS101 class, who is
> > actually looking at and being grateful for the 'bottombars', with the
> > help description for the mainly used keys plainly written and
> > accessible. I believe more and more nowadays those folks will likely be
> > using some web terminal [...]
>
> Can anyone on this list confirm that they use nano through a browser window
> sometimes?

Yes, I do all the time.

> And is their anyone who can give me access to a terminal-in-the-browser so
> that I can experience how this works?

Under a debian install with proper virtualization support, you could
'apt install cockpit cockpit-machines' and then log into VM manager interface
on localhost:9090 to set up and connect to a sample VM.