[Nel] Compiling under Linux

From: Tels
Subject: [Nel] Compiling under Linux
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 13:27:30 +0100 (CET)

Moin,

several nitpicks after my 2-hour adventures with ./configure under
linux/gcc (SuSE 7.0):

#configure: error: Cannot find freetype-config: check your path.
#    FreeType 2 library is needed to compile NeL (www.freetype.org).

Freetype.org is down, I could not reach it for several days/weeks.

http://www.sourceforge.org/projects/freetype/ seems to be the new
url.

StlPort: Do I need to make it, or is simple unzipping enough? If yes,
please document this, the make takes for ever ;o) Also, for stlport,
there is no "make install" for unix. Does this matter? I also run low on
diskspace due to stlport ... is there anyway to cut down the size after
making it?

#checking for freetype-config... no
#configure: error: Cannot find freetype-config: check your path.
#    FreeType 2 library is needed to compile NeL (www.freetype.org).

Ugh, this file does not get installed, and only resides in the build dir
of freetype (which I was to delete).

So I copied it in the nel pat, but root does not have "." in it's path.
Now I try configure as user and get this:

#checking whether c++ accepts -g... \c
#yes
#./configure: /dev/null: Permission denied
#configure: error: can not run ./config.sub

Now my hour for this day is running out...

The build process needs to be MUCH easier, if this game will ever come of
for Linux. Nobodies going to fiddle for 3 hours with it....or did I get it
wrong and level one is named "./configure" ? ;-P

Tels

Tels

- --
 "Why do you go so slowly? Do you think this is some kind of game?"
 http://bloodgate.com/thief/     Thief - The Dark Project
 http://bloodgate.com/aifilter   Rewriting the HTML as we know it.
 http://freedomforlinks.de       Fight for your right to link.
 PGP key available on http://bloodgate.com/tels.asc or via email.

The email address contained in the From/Reply of this email is NOT
to be displayed on webpages, entered into any mailing lists, given
to other people, used to send me electronic greeting cards without
my written, signed permission. No SPAM nor UCE, either! Thank you!
And PLEASE refrain from forwarding me chain letters, massmailings,
or pyramid schemes.