netpanzer-devel

Re: [netPanzer-Devel] Server Browser

From: Matze Braun
Subject: Re: [netPanzer-Devel] Server Browser
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 12:24:03 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003, Milan Babel wrote:

> hello list,
>
> i played netPanzer and i found a really nice game.
> And i thaught maybe you want to have a server browser.
> I thaught it that way:
> On startup of the server an extern program or a function will be
> started which sends the ip to a mysql db.
> After exiting netPanzer the entry in the mysql db will be deleted.
I don't think we don't need a full blown DB for this problem. (Also it
introduces a really unneccesary dependency to mysql in the netpanzer
client...)
Also you should not trust the server to delete itself when it exits.
(the computer or the internet connection could crash). So we have to do
some system which sends keepalive messages from time to time.

> The other piece is a browser which get the entrys of the db and checks
> the servers if one is full, then the others will be listed.
>
> So i would do this if you want, don't know right now which language
> normally i would say delphi but delphi is a windows language and i
> don't know how good are the internet functions of kylix.
> And i didn't coded ever a network programm in c++.
> But i think c++ is the best solution.
NO. Please stay consistent with the rest of the project and use C++. I'd
have another proposal:

For quake like games there are already very good server browsing tools out
there (qstat and xqf). We could write a simple master server, whose format
is close to the one from quake games. Then we could easily integrate
netpanzer support into qstat and xqf and we'll have nice server browsers
for free. (Win32 has similar server browser, so we should be able to get
something running there as well.)

Greeetings,
        Matze