[Nmh-workers] Forwarding MIME messages?

From: Nathan Bailey
Subject: [Nmh-workers] Forwarding MIME messages?
Date: Fri, 21 May 2004 10:06:48 +1000

I'm a long-time mh user (10+ years?) but possibly a fairly basic one
(i.e. I don't necessarily know all the options available in its many
features).  I have found that the only way Windows users can easily
see my attachments is doing them this way:

        #application/msword; name="whattheusersees.doc" whatthefileiscalled.doc

which means I need to type 'mime' (i.e. automime doesn't work with this,
IIRC).  But that's not the problem I'm writing about :-)

When people send me an attachment, I often need to forward it to others.
I have taken to using 'dist' for this purpose, since it happily forwards
the attachment validly, although it drives the recipients nuts, because:
        a) They don't know how they got it (although they guess it was me
           from past experience :-)
        b) They don't know why they got it (because no covering note)

Using forward (e.g. forw -format) means I have to clean up the message
by hand and re-attach any attachments -- a lot of work.  I could write
a MIME parser reasonably easily in perl, but before I do, I wanted to
check if:
        a) There isn't already some secure option supporting this (e.g.
           fancy repl.filters or similar)
        b) The new nmh release candidate doesn't already support it
           (I'm currently running nmh-1.1-RC1)

If I do write something in perl, is that still useful as part of the
nmh package, or do we want all tools to be written in C for cross
platform compatability/consistency?

thanks!
Nathan
--
Mike O'Dell (former CTO of UUnet, now at Compass Rose Labs) wrote:
"I haven't been able to give up MH for email ..."
        -- http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2002/08/21/switch.html?page=3