Re: [Nmh-workers] scan or show of UTF-encoded headers?

From: Oliver Kiddle
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] scan or show of UTF-encoded headers?
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 11:19:34 +0100

address@hidden wrote:

> In general, you *can't* do a good job of using iconv to mash things between
> the various iso8859-* charsets.  There *will* be lossage - after all, there
> is a *reason* they're up to -15, namely that one isn't sufficient.  So
> whichever
> one you're in, there *will* be lossage for the other 14.

I'd agree that you can't do a perfect job but would argue that the
result of using iconv is better than doing nothing. Even in an iso8859-*
locale. I'd prefer to see spaces, question marks or unknown character
boxes to the raw quoted-printable/base64 encoding. Many headers in real
e-mails will convert without problems. By the way, the patch I posted
yesterday currently stops on reaching a character it can't convert. It
should be easy to make it insert a '?' or similar.

GNU iconv can actually do some slightly more intelligent mappings if you
append //translit to the destination encoding name. This means that, for
example, the euro symbol becomes "EUR".

Oliver