Re: [Nmh-workers] multiple folders to rcvstore

From: Nicholas M. Kirsch
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] multiple folders to rcvstore
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 19:52:30 -0800

> Why not just call rcvstore multiple times with the same input? More than
> one matching line in .maildelivery with a result of A or R would do
> this.

I don't want to duplicate the storage used by the messages; the linking is a
must.

> If it's the linking that's important to you, call rcvstore once and then
> use refile -link. You could put all that in the one action of a
> .maildelivery line if you wanted.

How can I do this and allow concurrent access to the folders? (I don't think)
rcvstore will tell me what message it just assigned, so refile will only
work if the current message hasn't changed. That won't be sufficient, as most
of the mail delivery is occurring in the background as I work. In addition,
as I build up the list of folders dynamically based on the message, I would
rather not have n permutations of delivery rules. Finally, even if rcvstore
does tell me the message it delivered into, if I have to call refile multiple
times with that msg will be no better than my current procmail solution.

I don't currently use slocal for delivery, but I suppose I could. I think it
will also need a code change to do what I want.

I think I need:

1) "Atomic" (from an nmh perspective) delivery of a message into multiple
   folders. The delivery of a message must not interfere with other
   operations or prevent those operations from occurring.
2) The ability to dynamically match a series of patterns on the fly, building
   a list of folders where the message will be filed.
3) A message delivered into multiple folders must minimize disk usage by
   utilizing hard links.

For example, I want to save commit traffic, list traffic, and have messages
delivered to my inbox. Imagine the case where a single message falls under
all three categories. In other cases, a message might match only a single
category.

Are my needs more clear? If so, do you still think there is a way to do this
with a set of .maildelivery rules? If so, please forgive my ignorance;
perhaps you (or some other kind person) could set me a private email with
additional instructions.

Nick