Re: [Nmh-workers] things still to fix for this release?

From: pmaydell
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] things still to fix for this release?
Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 18:13:13 +0000

Tet wrote:
>Oliver Kiddle writes:
>>.PHONY is a GNU make specific feature. We need to make the install target
>>depend on something that will either be newer than the INSTALL file or
>>that won't conflict with an existing real file.
>
>Not a problem, surely? If you're not using GNU make, then it'll look for
>a (presumably non-existent) file called ".PHONY", and hence the rule will
>trigger anyway, with exactly the same effect.

Wrong way round: the syntax is
  .PHONY: install uninstall

so a non-GNU make will just ignore the line (unless you're dumb enough
to say 'make .PHONY' :-)).

I notice that the GNU make info manual claims that this:

install uninstall: FORCE

# rule with no prerequisites or commands, and there's no file 'FORCE':
FORCE:

has the same effect, and doesn't rely on GNU make extensions.
We should check that that works on Mac OS X and use that, I think.

-- PMM