Re: [Nmh-workers] Re: ADMINISTRIVIA: Change to mailing list policy

From: Bill Wohler
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2006 08:45:09 -0800

Earl Hood <address@hidden> wrote:

> On March 6, 2006 at 18:44, Bill Wohler wrote:
>
> > Earl Hood <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> > > I recommend "discard".  Spammers are known to use originating addresses
> > > of regular people, so you can potentially be the cause of receiving
> > > more spam due to mis-directed bounces.
> >
> > Unfortunately, this is worse because legitimate posters don't get a
> > notification that their message didn't get through.
>
> An unfortunate side-effect, but probably something we must live with.
> Bounce noise can get bad and generate anger among those that receive
> bounce messages that they never sent.

Bounce messages are treated like any other spam. I get lots every day
but never see them. No anger.

> I'm not sure how Mailman creates bounce messages, but bounces can
> open a door for exploitation by spammers.

Are you thinking they may take the bounce message, use Google to get a
list of names on the mailing list, and then post using those names?
Given how many spams I get to me on lists from people on the list, this
is probably already happening. Hmmmm... You may have a point.

But still, it's unlikely that anyone on this list is reading without a
spam filter in place. So even if the list is exploited, our filters will
discard the dreck anyway.

Another thing to do, which I do on my lists, is to employ the filter
before it gets to the list in the first place, which makes moderation
once again possible. That way spammers get a nebulous "Permission
denied" or nothing as you wish, and non-members get a useful bounce
message. For example, I have the following alias:

  list:                "|/usr/local/sbin/mailman-filter post list"

The mailman-filter script is attached inline here. It uses bogofilter
but could be adapted for any spam filter. The variables at the top need
to be modified for your installation. I see I have to update MAILMAN for
Mailman 2.1...

Bill Wohler <address@hidden>  http://www.newt.com/wohler/  GnuPG ID:610BD9AD