Re: [Nmh-workers] mhshow: invalid QUOTED-PRINTABLE encoding

From: Paul Fox
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] mhshow: invalid QUOTED-PRINTABLE encoding
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 20:49:21 -0500

sigh.

i'm getting tired of mh.  i just had to hand-edit this draft
because my painstakingly constructed combination of reply command
shell script and draft editor that takes care of html content,
etc, and which works on almost all mail i regularly receive can't
handle your pgp multipart cruft.

i see you're using exmh.  i'm certainly glad mh is still useful
somewhere -- too bad the useful version had to end up being the
gui version.

well.  that end-of-day grumble aside...

 > The fun starts when different things along the way use different rules - if
 > your mail malware scanner deletes bad characters when doing its checks, but
 > your final MUA doesn't, the bad characters can be used as part of a malicious
 > payload invisible to the malware scanner.

are you really saying there's no way to present the data in a way
that's secure, when what we're talking about is final
presentation?

i really really wouldn't care if mh applied multiple hex
encodings with shrieking warnings to the several characters
surrounding the mis-encoded ones, if it would only show me the
_rest_ of the message intact.  i guess i'll go look at how hard
this might be.

paul
p.s.  i'm curious -- does exmh have the "invalid
QUOTED-PRINTABLE" problem?
 paul fox, address@hidden (arlington, ma, where it's 43.0 degrees)