Re: [Nmh-workers] Dealing with missing From: header during send.

From: bergman
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Dealing with missing From: header during send.
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 11:56:05 -0500

In the message dated: Mon, 09 Jan 2012 20:56:07 CST,
The pithy ruminations from Earl Hood on
<Re: [Nmh-workers] Dealing with missing From: header during send.> were:
=> On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 8:26 PM, Lyndon Nerenberg wrote:
=>
=> > And my interpretation of me is:
=> >
=> > 1) No From:, no message gets sent.
=>
=> Yep.  Not sure if there is a
=> consensus on imposing this behavior, but I fail to
=> see why not.  Sites that want to enforce a specific
=> >From at the MTA/MSA level can always overwrite what
=> the MUA provides (and technically should since nothing
=> forbids an MUA from inserting any mail header it wants).
=>

I agree with this.

=> > 1a) The 'user' MUST configure the From:.
=>
=> When using nmh, I occassionally edit the From: in my
=> editor (Vim) to reflect different identities I'm known
=> as, so any default user setting would basically set
=> what is initially inserted into the draft message before
=> the editor is launched.

I'm currently using Claws Mail as my principle interface to nmh, largely
for threading and some other interface improvements vs. exmh. One huge
'win' of Claws Mail over bare nmh is that it makes the selection of
identity (From:, Reply-To:, Fcc:, signature) very simple when composing a
new message.  Having said that, I still use comp directly for much of my
mail, so I'm also in the position of editing headers to set my identity
per-message.

Because of this, I think that nmh should continue to permit the absence
of any defined From: at all phases until "send" is called.

=>
=> Now, if nmh had the ability to preset the From: based
=> on which identity I received the message under...  Definitely
=> a feature I like about Gmail since there are 3 identities
=> I work under on a daily basis.

It seems as if you're talking about composing a reply based on the
identity of the received message.

I've been using a wrapper around "repl" for about 5 years that will parse
the original message, match the identity against a list, and populate
the reply (From:, Reply-To:, Fcc:, signature) as needed.

I'm happy to contribute this code (perl) to the list.

Mark

=>
=> I currently deal with the issue by having variant components
=> files and then shell aliases for comp and repl to use
=> which one I desire at the time.  But this requires I know
=> which identity to use beforehand (for repl) vs having repl
=> automatically doing it for me.
=>
=> --ewh
=>