Re: [Nmh-workers] An Old MH Rival; mailx.

From: Paul Vixie
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] An Old MH Rival; mailx.
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 18:47:57 +0000

On 1/29/2012 6:36 PM, Ken Hornstein wrote:
>> http://heirloom.sourceforge.net/mailx.html
> Thanks for the pointer, Ralph.  It's actually interesting to see what
> another package has done, and I think there are some good ides we could
> borrow from there.

i agree. i'm going to peek at its licensing and at its internal API for
dealing with different kinds of folders (Mail, Maildir, IMAP).
interestingly, this package started its life with the name 'nail'.
freebsd /usr/ports has both heirloom-mailx (the package ralph's url
points to) and mailx. they appear to both be based on ucbmail, not on
each other.

#ss:amd64# pwd
/usr/ports/mail

#ss:amd64# cat mailx/pkg-descr
Mail command with mailx extensions.

    Mailx command is based on BSD mail command, but it also provides some
enhanced features such as:

o Edit header information.
o Use pager program to display long message.
o Add pipe (|) command.  You can pass the mail message to the shell
command by
  using this feature.
o Add Save, Copy command.
o Add askcc, askbcc command.  The mailx program ask you Cc: and Bcc: at the
  beggining.
o Add hsubject command.  This is similar to subject command, but it only
  displays Subject: headers.
o Add tilda escape command.

See also the files in ${PREFIX}/share/doc/mailx directory.

#ss:amd64# cat heirloom-mailx/pkg-descr
Heirloom mailx (formerly known as "nail") is derived from Berkeley
Mail and provides the functionality of the System V and POSIX mailx
commands. Additional features include support for MIME, IMAP
(including caching and disconnected use), POP3, SMTP, S/MIME,
international character sets, maildir folders, message threading,
powerful search methods, scoring, and a Bayesian junk mail filter.
Mailx can be used as a mail batch language in nearly the same way as
it is used interactively. It can thus act as a mailbox filter, can
fetch mail from remote accounts, and can send files as attachments.

WWW: http://heirloom.sourceforge.net/mailx.html