Re: [Nmh-workers] Making --enable-pop the default (or manditory)

From: Bill Wohler
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] Making --enable-pop the default (or manditory)
Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 21:03:17 -0800

Paul Vixie <address@hidden> writes:

> On 1/27/2012 3:02 PM, Ken Hornstein wrote:
>> But then ... I am wondering if it should even be optional?  It would
>> reduce a number of ifdefs, make the build system simpler, and I'm having
>> a hard time trying to think of why you wouldn't want it compiled in even
>> if you never used it.
>
> i love this idea. the only feature-level ifdef's we really need are the
> ones that would change nmh's dependencies (like if some external library
> like "libpop" were needed but only if you had the feature enabled.)

Agreed. These feature-level ifdefs might have been useful in a day where
adding 2 kB to a library was horrid. Not so much today. I also agree
with Paul that if it pulls in an additional external library, the ifdef
is still appropriate.

--
Bill Wohler <address@hidden> aka <address@hidden>
http://www.newt.com/wohler/