Re: [Nmh-workers] mhfixmsg suggestion

From: David Levine
Subject: Re: [Nmh-workers] mhfixmsg suggestion
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 14:13:14 -0400

> >Would it be very difficult for mhfixmsg to have an option
> >(maybe -reformat -reformat ?) to update the text/plain
> >version in a message? Constant Contact only updates the
> >text version of a newsletter when an administrator explicitly
> >does so by hand. Consequently I often see out of date
> >information unless I explicitly check the text/html part.
> >
> >Alternatively, if there were a tool in nmh that could
> >strip out a part, I could have mhfixmsg build a new one.
>
> So, we don't have a tool to really rewrite MIME messages; mhfixmsg
> is it.  Maybe what would be appropriate is a new switch to mhfixmsg
> to indicate a preferred MIME type when dealing with
> multipart/alternative?  I will note that dealing with
> multipart/alternative in the real world is one of the more
> challenging things out there.

Especially when the message is broken.  I've been meaning
to do something about this:  I get messages from a certain
airline that have an empty text/plain.  My efforts to get
them to fix it have not been successful.

My only idea so far has been to add a -remove <partno>
switch, which would apply before the other transformations
that mhfixmsg does.  It would then add a text/plain that
corresponds to the text/html, as it does now.  Mark, I think
that would solve your problem, too?

Or is there a more general solution that keeps things simple?

I don't think we want -remove text/plain because that would
remove all text/plain parts.

David